16 January 2010

A New Blog

It's time I tried blogging again. I thought maybe if I have a central theme it might help. So my theme is my business. Nothing in particular. Just an account of my experience attempting to start a business making stuffed animals.

The business side of things has my thoughts constantly wandering off to the nether reaches of just about anything-cobwebs-anything but the linear theories and plans required to run a successful business. I've run up against this limitation before. I'm tired of turning back from the fog. This time I'm going in.

I was in business last year so I've been working on my taxes. Ugh. I spent hours organizing, calculating, printing forms, following instructions to fill them out which inevitably led me to other forms only to find out that I didn't need to fill out either form because I didn't make enough money. I spent an embarrassing number of hours raking through this stuff. I can't afford an accountant so I have to make sense of it. In the end I am getting a refund. Which is good. It goes directly to my previous debt to the IRS. Hopefully I didn't break any laws or screw myself out of something like the Super Awesome Dames bonus of 4 gadrillion dollars. By the time I was finished I really didn't care. Next year I'll get an accountant.

1 comment:

  1. I use some software, called TaxAct. It's about $20, and walks you through the whole process. But it sounds like you did it by yourself! Good job! Nice to have it done- I'm waiting for forms...I'll be glad to have it behind me for another year.

    ReplyDelete