20 January 2010

Jackalopes in Heaven

Grey Wednesday. Airplane moseys overhead. Polly the cat curled on the ottoman next to my computer chair. She likes to be close.

Jonathan (my partner) left early today for his Master Gardener classes so I got up early but groggy. Mosey is a good word for my pace. It's a vigorous workout day according to my plan. My body has yet to acknowledge this plan has any viability. It's time for more aerobic exercise. I know this because my dance class recently resumed and I am more out of breath than I used to be. I saw myself in a video from the class and was not pleased. I try to see beauty in the mirror (sometimes with success!) but a belly should not look like it's filled with gravy. Even if it is....

As I mentioned in a previous post I got back to sewing this week. I have one monkey and four cat-o-puses ready to be stuffed.

I am extra excited to start some new designs for creatures. It's difficult to decide. I started a two headed elephant/human (Pocketdermosapien? Pockethomoderm...no, that doesn't work.) I will finish this in the next couple of weeks. But it may not be the next product I develop.

There are the regular things like giraffes, rabbits, jackalopes, and platypii that I would like to make. Then there are the 'Oddities' I have in mind like two headed creatures, gryffins, flying monkeys, Dr. Who.... Each pattern takes some time to get mass produceable so it's best to prioritize except what are my priorities? I'm generally a 'do what I want' kind of gal. This would be the oddities choice for sure. But this is a business. People buy cute things for children not two headed photosynthetic sea slugs with pockets. Perhaps I can alternate. And maybe I'm wrong about the modern Grandma, or Uncle Wallis who gets you the sea slug for your second Birthday which becomes your lifelong companion. You would keep cinnamon sticks in it's pocket and bring it with you to college.

Today would have been my Dad's 55th Birthday. His name was Jack. I think of him when I think of Jackalopes for that reason. He died in a car wreck a couple of years ago and I miss him. We had great phone conversations ending up in the most random silly places with both of us giggling, happy that we finally got along. I wish I could send a train of jackalopes to heaven for my dad. Like Santa's reindeer, pulling a giant Radio Flyer wagon full of love and snacks. Happy Birthday, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment