13 February 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mom's birthday was Thursday. As usual I was late with the card and can't afford a gift. Instead I thought it would be fun to dedicate a blog post to her. She is, after all, the person who taught me to sew. Perhaps more significantly I spent my upbringing watching her constantly making things. In my case it was contagious and I'm grateful for that. This is my mom, Marcia.


When I was a kid my mom made me all kinds of stuff. We didn't have that much money so she would just make the things we couldn't afford.


She copied images from a coloring book to make her own embroidery patterns for this little doll blanket she made for me.









She would cut up her old clothes to make my dolls clothes.







She crocheted the sweater this barbie is wearing. She made the jeans from an old pair of her jeans.









And this barbie wedding gown complete with train and pearly buttons is also hand crocheted out of thin string by my mom. It's stunning. You see it here on a scrap book page.



Mom made each of us four kids a full scrap book of our lives a few years ago for Christmas gifts. Every year she gives us something homemade for Christmas. That's how my mom rolls and that's how I ended up the way I am.





I'd like to thank my mom for being such a great inspiration for creativity. I love you to the max, Mom. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment