17 February 2010

Crocodiles and Elephants

Today I will finish the lovely and soft green Pocketdile I've been working on since Monday. I found five great sweaters at the Salvation Army thrift store for under $15! One of them is a nice cotton blend I'm using for the new croc. Two of the others are wool! They will all become creatures. I can't wait to felt the wool. I'm usually lazy about this. Second hand wool sweaters are generally partially felted anyhow so I just go ahead and make the creatures with no more than a simple cold, delicate wash. But this time I am committed to experiment with washing machine felting. It's simple and felted wool is softer and lovelier to the eye.


Last week I finished the classy burgundy stripe taffeta crocodile. It turned out nice although I used a stretchy velvet for the belly which pulled the body into a C shape. It isn't what I intended but it still looks alright. They never turn out exactly as intended anyway. Sometimes this is a boon. Other times not so much.







I also finished a new furry Pocketderm with a trumpet trunk. Her name is Valerie.

Valerie's gorgeous shag faux fur is so crazy it was difficult to get a photo of her that makes sense to the eye. I did my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment