30 May 2010

Eugene Saturday Market

If you are familiar with the Eugene Saturday Market this entry may be redundant, but then again, maybe not.

When I started my business I thought the Saturday Market was decidedly not going to work for me. I thought it was too 'hippie' and that nobody there went much beyond tie dye and bluegrass. I couldn't possibly fit in. After having spent a decade mired in a land of patchouli scented vans and dusty Grateful Dead bootlegs I assertively rejected many things that reminded me of hippie-ness. That was almost 10 years ago. Slowly I have been re-integrating hippie allowances. Okay, listen to the Grateful Dead in my presence, but just one album and no Uncle John's Band.

Fortunately, as far as the Saturday Market is concerned, I was totally wrong. There are the token hippies selling hemp woven doo dads, sure. But the Eugene Saturday Market is filled with a wide array of styles and I find it very inspiring! My favorite place to sell is along the southwest lawn. Kimberly Miller sells hula hoops there. She throws about a dozen hoops on the lawn for people to play with. All day it's middle aged ladies cheering each other on to swing those hips, frat boys trying it out in the sport of clownish mocking, little kids celebrating every rotation. There are musicians playing, teenagers dramatizing, and old men smiling on it all. Yesterday we had a cellist stationed right in front of us first thing in the morning. A couple of weeks ago there was a mariachi band. But mostly Saturday Market is about art. You can't sell someone else's product at this market. It must be handmade by the vendor. I love meeting other creative people. I learn something every week about how to improve my business or my craft. I'm spurred to work harder and hone my skills by the healthy competition that comes from being surrounded by greatness and being invited to join.

I thought it would be fun to showcase the work of some of my favorites here. Click on the company name for a link to the website.



WugBug Clothing Company
















Noelle Dass













Trumbly Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment