09 May 2010

Dollface, etc.

I've sold at Saturday Market for 3 weeks now. I'm starting to develop a swing, I think. It's a hippy version of hurry up and wait. I'm glad there are lots of interesting people to talk to. Also there are infinite variations on people watching. Everyone goes to the Saturday Market at one time or another.

I bring tasks to accomplish while I sit for 8 hours. My big one this week was to finish embroidering the face of doll #1.
There are several specifics I will adjust for doll #2, but overall, I think I like it.


My favorite part is the cheek circles with red stitching. Now she needs a stylish little outfit. I couldn't bring her around naked (gasp!) so I threw together this frumpy little ensemble. It simply won't do. The color is all wrong.





You may remember me posting this photo of her a few weeks ago, pre-cheeks.

The market is going well enough to keep my attendance. I find that I get more ideas each week for what I could be doing better. It helps so much to circulate with other bipeds-sometimes I forget this while in the solitude of my reclusive tendencies. I learn from watching and listening to other vendors. I learn from conversations with shoppers. I learn over and over that remaining positive, calm, and cheerful puts people at ease allowing them to linger a few moments longer at my little booth. I have to cinch my tendency to stare at my customers. I do this by always having things to do. This way I can look up and say hello. If they don't engage in further interaction I just return my half attention to the project in my lap. Secretly I always have my other half attention outward like a zen fisherman or 'creaturewoman', if you will.

I am so grateful for the Saturday Market and the fascinating Eugene community that continues to support a local economy more than any other place I've lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment